About Me

My photo
Stacy's Creations Photography specializes in weddings and newborn photography in the Niagara Region and surrounding areas. Contact scphotog1@gmail.com. Website is http://www.stacyscreationsphotography.com

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fighting for Autism and IBI Treatment

Many of you know that my youngest little guy has autism. While we have been very lucky since his diagnosis to have quite a bit of help, the one thing that could be the biggest form of help for Branden has suddenly been put on hold.....all after we've been on the waiting list for IBI treatment for almost 2 years. The worst parts about it are:

1- there is a small window of opportunity for this treatment to have the most benefits for children with autism and that is between the ages of 3 & 5... Branden will be 5 this coming December
2- we were just brought in THREE WEEKS AGO to the office to talk about how we were finally near the top of the list and that we should be very excited

The excitement all came to a halt 3 days ago when we and many others in the area on the wait list got a letter stating that due to lack of funding, the program was being put on hold with no mention of a possible date when it may begin again.

I have decided to not take this laying down and pursue this as hard and as much as I can and am going straight to the papers and to the government that is failing our children.

We did an interview with the local Tribune Newspaper yesterday which you can view here http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1140062, and
we are heading to Toronto with our local politician Peter Kormos to speak at Queen's Park about this unacceptable situation.

Please keep Branden and all the other children in the situation in your prayers and hope that we can come to a speedy solution to this. These children need this help they are being denied of!

The following links can provide more information about the situation at hand, about autism and about IBI treatment. Please feel free to email me with any questions at shayward1@cogeco.ca

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1124375

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/PRBpubs/prb0593-e.htm#funding

Thank you.

8 comments:

Shore Photography said...

Stacy I am so very sorry to hear about that sucky situation. It makes me mad and upset for you and your family also for the other families out there that have autism children.I speak from my own experience with my grandmother who died of cancer.. There was nothing they really could do for her because they mis diganosed the problem.. anyways. My point is that these are children that need this.. its not fair to them to not be given a chance because of some lame excuss of funding. I know that as a mother of a little one, I would hold as many events as I could to come up with some funds for this.. and I am sure you and anyone else would do the same. These children need this treatment and I can not believe that they are just going to pull it out on them. I know how it feels to have so much hope for something and than someone come and take it out from underneath your feet.
Grrrrrrrr makes me mad..
But Stacy you have mine and my families support and prayers for your little guy and the rest of the children.

Anonymous said...

You're doing such a awesome thing Stac! I wish you guys the best of luck and you're definitely in our prayers. Don't stop fighting!!

xo. Ashley A.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you Stacy! We're rooting for you.

Anonymous said...

STACY - Figt with every breath you have your determination, and your drive will certainly benefit all children with Autism. Thank you Mr. Peter Kormos, change is needed and I applaud you for coming to the plate and speaking on behalf of all children and family and friends of Autistic children. I myself have noticed HUGE improvements in Bran's development, almost mind boggling on how Bran has improved in such a short time. NOw I am saddened and lost for words that the government is not recognizing the importance of funding, I seen with my own eyes how benefical it is to have treatment. Now what? Quit on the kids? This is unacceptable!! Government you need to listen and recognize the children. PLEASE! For the FUTURE of Bran and his friends

Peace out,
Nancy Bullett

Anonymous said...

Stacy.. I saw the article in the paper this morning and I can't believe that the program is being put on hold!! I know you have been looking forward to this treatment for Branden and with all the positive things I've heard about it, I'm sure it would have benefited him greatly! I also know that you are a strong advocate for Branden and with the help of Peter Kormos, I know your voices will be heard! I just hope it is loud enough! I'll be thinking of you and Branden and all the other children out there who rely on this service to give them a better
quality of life!! Good luck :)
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Stacy-I feel so sad about what you are going through. I know what a special boy Branden is, and I know you want the absolute best for him. You are a fighter girl, you are the perfect person to step up and make things happen. For Branden, for others in the same situation. You have our support!!! You are in our thoughts and prayers-power to you girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
It's a sad state of affairs in our health system when our children are ignored. I'm glad you are not taking this sitting down and are going to fight to make change. That's the only way anything will ever get done is with a group of concerned citizens. There is a very high rate of autism in the niagara region, you should be able to garner some support from the local families too. The director of my centre at Brock runs an autism camp every summer and while it is really fantastic for the kids, it's not enough. There needs to be full support in our school and health systems for this. I have signed your petition and support your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Stacy I am so proud of you ..You have me to help you fight, cause I was blessed with lots of grandchildren and I could need that help someday or other help.You want to do to others what you would want others to do for you...God bless you abundantly.
Friend in Christ,
Bernadette

Fans/Visitors

Followers

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed